Ingredients for Red Chilli Pesto
- 3 to 4 dry red chillies
- 1/2 cup pine nuts (or walnuts)
- 1/3 cups parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon roasted cumin powder
- 8 cloves garlic
- a sprig of italian basil leaves
- 2 to 3 tomatoes (or 10 cherry tomatoes)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- salt to taste
Ingredients for Pasta
- 300 grams spaghetti
- Garlic Bread to serve
- To begin making the Red Chilli Pesto & Roasted Tomato Spaghetti Pasta Recipe, we will first deseed the chillies and soak them in warm water for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile roast the pine nuts or the walnuts till its aromatic for a couple of minutes on medium heat. Keep aside.
- Pre-heat oven to 180 C. Cut red plum tomatoes into quarters. season it with salt and pepper. Toss in some olive oil over the tomatoes. Spread them in a single layer in a baking tray and bake for 30 minutes or till it is roasted . After baking for 10 minutes throw the garlic pods along with the skin to the baking tray. You will notice that the tomatoes shrink and get roasted.
- When you notice this, remove the tomatoes from the oven.
- The next step is to blend all the ingredients to make the pesto. Place the soaked red chilli, pine nuts, parmesan, cumin powder, roasted garlic pods, half of the roasted tomatoes and basil in a blender. Pour the quarter cup of olive oil and blend to make a smooth pesto paste.
- Cook spaghetti pasta along with salt and water until its cooked “al dente”. Once the spaghetti is cooked, drained the water.
- Transfer the cooked Spaghetti to a large mixing bowl and toss in the pesto and the rest of the roasted tomatoes. Check the salt and adjust to suit your taste.
- Garnish with some for fresh basil herb and serve the Red Chilli Pesto & Roasted Tomato Spaghetti Pasta Recipe along with a toasted garlic bread.